Occlusal splints are individually designed to be worn by patients who have shown the signs and symptoms of Bruxism (tooth grinding and clenching).
Signs and Symptoms may include;
- Pain in the teeth and sensitivity to hot & cold
- Chronic facial pain with tension headaches, caused by intense muscle contraction
- The noise, noticed by partners, friends or relatives, that occurs as the teeth are ground together
- Flattened and worn tooth surfaces, which may reveal the underlying dentine layer
- Micro fractures of the tooth enamel
- Broken or chipped teeth
- Loose teeth
- Stiffness and pain in the jaw joint muscles; this can cause restricted opening and difficult chewing
- Earache or pain in the jaw joint
An Occlusal splint (also called a night guard) is an option for patients who experience mild to severe grinding behaviour. Worn at night, the splint is made from moulded hard plastic that fits over the upper teeth. It prevents further wear of the tooth surfaces.